Friday, June 7, 2013

Week 2: Hot Topic Debate

Should students play (software) games in school? This question has been debated among educators for many years. Schools that have have a college preparatory focus do not allow the use of instructional games at all. Meanwhile, there are educators who believe that education should include more games to tap into students' natural love of the format. Some teachers feel that anytime learning can take place from the guise of a game that it is a great thing.

Mark Bauerlein conducted a study on video games and academic achievement. The study covered boys ages six to nine. One group was given a video game system and the other group received a video game system four months later. The boys were given test in reading, math and writing at the beginning and after the first four months. The results concluded that the boys who received and started playing video games right away spent less than doing homework and other after-school activities than the boys without the video game system. The study also concluded that the boys with video games did not perform as well on the follow up reading and writing test, math scores were not affected. A study conducted by Sunha Kim and Mido Chang also found no significant effects on the students' math achievement.

I feel that games make great instructional aids and should be used. I encourage instructional gaming at school but I feel that is should be limited and monitored closely. Having students use preassigned games during centers or as a reward is a great idea. Children love any type of games because it gives them the chance to learn while having fun. Due to rules and regulations, during my field experience I was not able to allow my students to use gaming activities on the computer or online. Students were only allowed to use the computer to complete STAR reading/math and Accelerated Reading test. To encourage the use of instructional games vs. non-instructional, violent or arcade games I provided parents with a list of instructional games that students may use while at home,library etc.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs. Evans, I also use computer time as reward. I give my students free time on the computer, however I allow them to gain extra time after good behavior. I have found that educational software is a wonderful tool in the preschool classroom.

    ReplyDelete